Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2016

ADK Hiking: Pilot's Knob Preserve

If you're looking for a short yet breathtaking hike in the Lake George area, this one is calling your name!

I had the opportunity to stop and hike this short path up to a gazebo after doing a day of training just down the road at a YMCA camp. Off of the I-87 exit 20 (where Six Flags and the Outlet Malls are), this is off of route 9L on Pilot Knob Road, only about 10 minutes from the exit.

The hike itself only takes about 20 minutes if you're a regular hiker, and even with children, this hike would be manageable. It's steep, but quick, and I went in February, so was able to spot views of Lake George all the way up through the barren trees. I did have some troubles keeping with the trail... I didn't find the blazes to be too well placed, but it could've been the barren winter hiking made it more difficult to spot where the trail was.





Either way, the short hike up was incredibly worth the stop when I arrived at the gazebo. Considering it was a Monday in winter, I had the whole place to myself. The views of Lake George out of all angles were absolutely stunning, and I could've laid out in the sun there (40 degrees in February in the ADK is a big deal!) forever.

The gazebo






No comments:

Post a Comment